Social worker

The social worker can help patients and families to find resources in the community that may be beneficial. They can also help with:

• A living will.

• A health care proxy decision maker.

• A durable power of attorney.

• A non-resuscitation order (DNR), these documents are written by you as anticipation of a major deterioration or injury.

• Emotional support- working through grief and loss related to a change in the season of your life.


What advance directives?

Advanced directives are written instructions explaining your desires in case you cannot make your own decisions. Hospice recognizes that this is an individual matter based on personal choice.

What is a living will?
A living will is a type of advance directive. Living wills are a written statement detailing a person’s desires regarding their medical treatment in circumstances in which they are no longer able to express informed consent.

What is a power of attorney (POA) ?
POA is a written document that specifies a family member, close friend, or other person to handle the areas of your life designated by the POA.

What is a medical durable power of attorney (MDPOA)/ health care power of attorney?
A MDPOA/ health care power of attorney is a written document that you can use to designate a family member, close friend or other person to handle medical decisions on your behalf when you cannot make decisions for yourself.

What is a do not resuscitate order (DNR)?

A DNR is a written legal order to withhold cardiopulmonary resuscitation in respect of the wishes of a patient in case their heart was to stop beating or if they were to stop breathing.

The DNR document should be easily visible in the home and in yellow paper. It is common practice to keep this form stuck in the bed or in the refrigerator.

What is a natural death?
Allowing a natural death simply means not interfering with the natural process of death, while attention is given to keeping the patient as comfortable as possible. A non-resuscitation (DNR) order is a written document prepared between you and your doctor if you do not wish to receive CPR when your heart and/or lungs stop working. The DNR is your written desire to allow the natural process to take place without the intervention of CPR.

Emotional support-

Your hospice social worker can help you and your family with some of the common emotional problems of chronic degenerative diseases including grief and loss related to a change in the season of your life. They can also help with problems solving in a personal or family crisis, reviewing alternative life agreements, exploring financial solutions, and using other community resources. The social worker can also work with your family and their grief.